Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Second place

I have been relegated to second position in Blue's hierarchy of human love. I wrote last week of the sweet evening of mutual admiration, when he lay by me as I read. He relaxed and slept. I relaxed and remembered how to breathe deeply.

Then, on Friday night, my son came home from college.

Yes, friends, that was all it took. In just these few days, I may be good for food and water or for a quick pat. But Blue only has eyes for his boy now. He can't be bothered to get up to go outside - unless his boy asks him. He happy dances - only for his boy.

What the heck?! On the other hand, that is just how it should be, isn't it? It warms my heart to see their close bond and know they always have one another's back. They don't even have to be in the same room, but their closeness is palatable. It is, indeed, a happy holiday season for one special Blue-dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment