Monday, November 25, 2013

Cold weather tips from the dogs


I realized this weekend that the dogs are masters of how to be truly successful in cold weather. Here are how the dogs at my house deal with cold weather:

1.  Drink plenty of water. I tend to forget to drink anything. So, when I get up to move around (see how I remember to do that, below), I heat some water for tea. I try to make it herbal so it counts for my total glasses of water for the day. 




2.  Keep moving. It may be too cold to walk those 10,000 daily steps outside. If that's the case, get up from the desk, sofa, chair every hour or so. I have an alarm set on my FitBit (www.fitbit.com) to remind me to move around.













3.  Get outside, but don't spend a lot of time out there when it's really cold. Even in the winter, we need a certain amount of sunshine to stay healthy and keep our bones strong.













4.  Nap. Yep, that's right. If I'm tired and I have the time, I curl up for a nap - usually on the sofa with a book and a dog to provided added heat. I always say I would make a good bear when the days are short and the temperatures are in the "It's too cold for me" range!











5.  Eat lightly. I can't give in to those urges to eat lots of heavy food during the colder months. It makes me feel awful - kind of like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. And I dislike that feeling more than I like heavy food.










6.  Play. Even if it's only for a few minutes, I try to throw a ball for the dogs and just breathe. It elevates my heart rate just a bit and gives my soul a chance to soar.











7.  Bundle up. I have come to realize that, living in Oklahoma, we often don't have the best clothes to brave the cold weather. I'm going to try to add some thin layers to my wardrobe in the next couple of years so I can face the cold a little more positively. But, as I mentioned before, I really hate that stuffed feeling that comes with lots of bulky clothes (or too much food!), so I am going to take my time and buy carefully.














8.  Smile anyway. My Airedale, Mattie Rae, always lived her life with joy. This winter, I am going to try to channel her philosophy of appreciating the little things and remembering to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment