Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Saddest dog ever ...

My son returned to college this morning, after just arriving back home from a week at his father's last night. Blue was SO HAPPY to see him, then promptly fell into a state of moping as items began streaming from the bedroom to the car. The energy coming from Blue was clear: "You told me you were staying with me a while and now you are already leaving again. I don't like this."

It makes me sad, but I don't know what to do - or how - to help Blue over these humps. About the time he really settles into a rhythm, the boy comes home again for a day or a few days. Blue is ecstatic and gets into a groove. Then he's gone again. I try to tell him, to explain to him, but there isn't a schedule and he simply doesn't understand why his boy has to be gone so much. It makes my heart hurt for him (and for me, if I'm honest). I need to ponder it some more and try to figure out how to ensure our reigning senior citizen understands and accepts that this is how life is now.

Poor guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment