Monday, January 6, 2014

Baby, it's cold outside!

Much of the country has been dealing with winter storms and bitterly cold temperatures. Here in Oklahoma, the thermometer plummeted on Saturday afternoon, taking with it the ability to spend very much time outside - at all. As I hustled the dogs in and out - always a challenge since Carson gets distracted and doesn't take care of "business" - I watched the cows across the road. They huddled together, braving the elements stoically. They seem so passive, well, except for at dinner time, when Rosie the red cow always gets very vocal and moves right up to the fence!


A quick online research adventure revealed that cows in good coat and with adequate body mass can survive bitterly cold temperatures pretty easily. It is harder for calves, who haven't had the chance to fatten up. There are four calves across the way. The articles I found mentioned windbreaks and plenty of water as important to survival. Luckily we haven't had rain, as wet coats, combined with wind and cold, increase the odds of hypothermia in cattle.

The herd across the way is well-cared-for, so I am certain they will be fine during this cold spell. And I have to say I'm glad I'm not the one feeding and watering a couple of times a day. Thankfully, I can watch them from my sunroom and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment