Saturday, February 1, 2014

Lying Leopard

It is interesting that Lying Leopard is described as being less invasive than Clouded Leopard and so many animals like it better if they are sensitive to touch. We had kind of a mixed reaction here.

Lying Leopard is supposed to allow a larger area of "warm contact" with the hand. I often hold my breath when I'm working - something I try to recognize and change, but it's a work in progress. I think that probably affects how my dogs feel about it overall.

Blue liked it the most. I'm not sure that it wasn't too much like a massage for him, so I need to keep that in mind, although you do need to get through the fur to the skin. He doesn't like the circles too fast or too slow. The trick is finding his "just right"!

Blue
This is another one of those touches that Blue really likes along his hindquarters. He totally backed up into me and wanted this experiment to continue.

Marley
The terriers weren't so sure about the whole process. Maybe because they're smaller so it seemed like I was covering a larger area? Maybe I should increase the speed of the circles, slowing down once they relax. I need to spend more time to see how they react long-term. And I think I need to make sure I'm more on the level with them rather than working from a standing position, which can always be an issue.


Beginning today, we are going to start doing mouth work. This may need a couple of weeks, as it's a slow process and I don't want to push too much or too soon. Basically, we will begin with Lying Leopard TTouches on the outside of the mouth and make tiny circles on the gums, working on both sides of the mouth. I want to do multiple short sessions to keep stress levels down. Mouth TTouch is used extensively for aggression, barking, biting, chewing, dental woe, emotional upset, fear of vet offices, hyperactivity, licking, nervousness and stress - most of the emotional issues. I have seen it used with absolutely wonderful success on dogs, and have seen it magically calm down my own Carson. My friend Cynde Van Vleet, a TTouch practitioner in California, used it to work miracles on Carson during a stressful point in a class a couple of years ago. Carson has recently started barking a lot when outside, so I hope this will ease that a bit.

In other news, the new computer purchase, migration and set-up is complete. I really didn't want to replace my laptop just yet, but it made the decision for me. After long conversations with my children and writer-friends, I opted for the Mac desktop with a 21.5" screen. I have to admit it is nice to write, edit and proofread on it, but I do miss the portability of the laptop. I'll just need to get more comfortable writing on the iPad mini. At right is a photo of the new digs in the sunroom.

The cold and grey continues in Oklahoma. The dogs and I are in desperate need of sunshine and warm breezes (not winds, but breezes would be nice).

No comments:

Post a Comment